Friday, October 03, 2008

Communication Breakdown...

...In more ways than one, of course, since I haven't blogged here since August.

But in another way too. In my job as a Director of Marketing, I find that I am ALWAYS learning that what I suspect to be true, is frankly NOT true and that no matter how many times I can edit, refine, or determine the correct way to phrase something, I will NEVER reach all the people all the time. Less is more usually, but apparently not always. So how does something stay esthetically pleasing to the eye and also convey the information in a straightforward and concise but detailed way.

It's impossible.

Parents at private school are overwhelmed, especially now with the economy tanking. Regardless of how they personally are doing and what their bank accounts look like, they are nervous, paying a tuition of some kind, and generally reevaluating whether this is a good investment.

To me personally, it's your child's education. It's the BEST investment. But not everyone sees it that way and they're nervous.

So in my job, having to approach parents about giving to the school above and beyond is a tricky sale right about now. And thus the topic of this entry.

What I say and what I mean are the same. What I say and what people hear are two different things. Then what one parent hears and another parent hears are also totally different and thus the breakdown.

Maybe the trick is not to talk at all? Or maybe the trick is to talk to each person individually. Frankly, neither are options and so the game continues. Who hears the right message, how do they need to hear it, what makes it relevant? What do I do about the others who never hear it or hear the wrong thing?

I guess this is why I'm making the big bucks, huh?

:-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every business is a "what have you done for me lately?" business. To bastardize a quote from Abe Lincoln, you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. So relax, do your best, and don't sweat it. They are so lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

case in point: (sort of)
A poet friend of mine, who also coincidentally has worked a lot in marketing/fundraising, was on tour somewhere in the southern states. AS she approached the venue where she was to give a reading, some cops hanging out nearby stopped her, because she has tattoos. They asked her what she was there to do. She said "It's a poetry event." After a pause, the cop ventured

"Poetry like words, or poetry like chicken*?"

So no, you can't reach all the people all the time.

* poultry, we guess.