Monday, August 20, 2007

Oh The Times...They Are a-Changin'

Once there was a day....



When I would savor my coffee.

When I could pee when I needed to.

When email was fun to read.

When I could whistle freely.

When I could listen to music on my PC.

When I could wear flip-flops in summer.

When I didn't have to think so damn hard about what to wear.



Those days are over.



My coffee is lukewarm by the time I get to it.

I go all day without time to pee.

My email keeps coming no matter how often or how quickly I get to it.

I can't whistle for fear of upsetting my office mate.

I have no speakers on my PC.

I'm wearing heels in summer.

And what to wear is something I start worrying about the evening before I have to put it on.



Yes indeed. The life of a working woman.



Now most of you will read this and think of how depressing it is, but really, it's not all bad. I LIKE working. I LIKE what I'm doing. I LIKE where I'm working. And while it's such a major change from the life I led for the past 5 years, it's kind of nice to exercise my brain.



My biggest complaint is VOLUME. The volume of work I have to do is overwhelming. It's hard to know what to do first and how to prioritize. I like to try and THINK about how to do things before having to do them. That is not a luxury I have much of right now. I'll have to adjust how I go about things and what I can rightfully expect for myself.



The worst part about all of this? I miss my friends. I am T-I-R-E-D when I get home and then to make dinner and deal with kids? It's about all I can do to veg out (or blog like tonight) at the end of the day, leaving weekends to painfully run errands which is torture. Yeah yeah I know some of you have been doing that forever. I don't care. I don't have to like it. I'd rather drink coffee, see friends, let the kids play and relax on my weekends.

So, uh, I was in a show a couple of weeks ago. That went well I guess. I got to sing which made me happy. I hope I get a chance to do that again soon. Rehearsals were painful for my family but it was brief in the scheme of things and I was on stage and it felt good. There's just no better place on earth sometimes. But I didn't love the show and I wasn't invested like I normally get and it was sometimes hard to focus. A little scary being on stage and realizing that you've not been paying attention. I don't think I'd like to do that again. But sing? Be onstage? Be in a show? SIGN ME UP!! My most sincere thanks for the handful of you that came to see it. I VERY much appreciated that effort.

What's everyone else been up to? My friend Janice went to China and sent AWESOME photos for me to see. Anyone else doing anything exciting? SHARE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what you need is a job like mine where you pretend to work while arranging tour dates for your band. :-)

If anyone from jstor is reading htis that was a total joke. AHAHAHA.

i'm glad you're working; as tiring as it sounds at least it's a different kind of tiring.

But what's with the anti-whistler?

Speaking of, I have a callback for a MUSICAL tomorrow morning. Send vibes. :-)