Last night I watched "No Reservations" on the Travel Channel to see Anthony Bourdain visit his good friend Michael Ruhlman in the lovely and oh-so-cosmopolitan Cleveland, Ohio.
Much of the show wasn't so much about the heart-attack-on-a-plate food, but about the characters in this particular episode of the show. The comic book writer with his arm in a sling, the crazy dude with the colorful jacket, the Great Lake surfer dude who was so cold he couldn't talk - they were perfect additions to the general comraderie and ball busting between Ruhlman and Bourdain.
But that ball busting was the best part. It's the way friends are with each other, especially good friends. Torture and relentless pestering that hides the true lovely nature of a great friendship.
It made me want to be at that table with them. More than that, it made me want to be at MY OWN table with my friends. The friends who endlessly pick on me, torture me about events long since "forgotten", the friends who know how to make me laugh so that the fingers on my hands can't wipe away the tears of laughter. It's a good thing I have these friends in my life. It's good for my health. I just don't get to sit with them often enough.
Anyway, it was a fun show to watch. Thanks to DG who referred me to that station in time to watch it. And DG...I can't wait to have you at my table some time soon. Or better yet, me at YOUR table since you're the fancy chef these days!
4 comments:
I wanna hang out with DG...can I come, too?
Glad you got to see the show. I LOVE those guys. Ruhlman maintains he and his family could not use their downstairs bathroom for days after Bourdain left, he plundered it so bad. Am trying to figure out when I can go to Cleveland for a Ruhlman get-together. Wouldn't that be a riot?!
I'll be at your table... probably December/January. And I won't stink up the loo like SOMEONE we know. And we'll laugh as we sing Harley David..... son of a bitch!
You KNOW I have that song on tape, don't you? Unforgettable!
I think perhaps I should visit on or around December 6 - 11. Little birthday celebration for *someone* -- does that work?
Post a Comment