Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Musical Review, etc.

I'm in a show...a musical review of sorts.

Aug. 8,9, and 12 at the MJCC here in Portland. This means that the three of you locals reading this will come (maybe) and the rest of you won't be able to make it.

Alas...it's an interesting piece. I haven't seen the script yet but suffice it to say it's filled with all sorts of Civil Rights scenes and anti-War sentiments. For me, personally, it's a chance to SING MY HEART OUT. I am lucky to have THREE amazing solo opportunities and I cannot wait to sing them. I hope I can do them justice.

Solo 1: I have to summon my inner black woman. We all know she's there. Now I'll get to show her off.

Solo 2: Vashti returns. A little brash, a little raunch, a lotta chesty, low singing. Really fun.

Solo 3: Sweet, more conservative, careful and really pretty. I hope I have voice left with which to sing it all.

Of course, tonight, I almost missed my entire rehearsal. SO much going on in my brain. Now with school out I have to get back to organizing three lives in a day. I'm trying to stay afloat and SANE. I'm in no way unique in this. Everyone I know is looking to their friends as if to say, "What are YOU doing later??" Getting the kids together gives us all a bit of an easier time.

If we were on the East Coast, we'd be counting down the days until sleepaway camp and determining when the right age is to send them. Here that's a one week thing. There it's 8 weeks. 8 WEEKS. My kids are going. I'll need a second mortgage on the house, but they're going. Someday.

In the meantime, we'll survive, play a lot and see some friends. Sounds like summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, crap! I'm going to be gone during that time!! I'm going to see if I can be there for the final performance..it's a must-see.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I leave for two weeks and re-check the blog and so much is happening. I wish I could see your show. I am so glad you are performing & singing though. Look forward to hearing more about it.

I myself spent July 4 in BELFAST!!! which was an interesting take on all things nationalistic. I did play Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" to a noisy bar full of irish, um, british, um, whatever, noisy drunk people, in honor of the holiday. they sang along.

I blogged about it as well. tee hee.

miss you, love ,Rebecca