Saturday, July 14, 2007

Lottie's gone

My dear friends and family,

Lottie Mendelson, mother of my very dear friend Michelle, passed away yesterday morning after a lengthy battle with leukemia. These last three and a half years or so have been nothing short of a nightmarish rollercoaster in which my friend watched her mother deteriorate from this evil, horrible disease. Periods of true hope and tentative happiness were followed by what seemed to be the inevitable bad news. The battle was nearly won and lost several times during this time with the drama playing out to its end yesterday morning.

Lottie was a great lady. Warm, funny, caring, welcoming and was always happy to see you. She remembered conversations past and always followed up on how things were after you last spoke with her. She made me feel welcome, always, in the relatively short time that I knew her. And she will be missed.

So I am here wondering what to do for Michelle. She is surrounded by family and those who have known her and her mom her whole life, thank goodness and so is supported by many people right now, including us, of course. But I am feeling fidgety, like I should be doing more somehow. I know I will have the opportunity to do so later this week so maybe I should just get started making some food and freezing it. That way when she's ready, I am too and I'm able to make some use of myself.

Anyone know of any web sites that post recipes for casseroles or any other appropriate "shiva" foods?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No recipes - I come to you for that :) But remember that book on loss I told you about? I HIGHLY recommend it...."If There's Anything I Can Do" by Rebecca Feldbaum.

davidoreen said...

Unfortunately, I have several girl friends who have lost moms recently. And I was fortunate enough to know and enjoy their moms (be adopted by them since I am far away from my mom). Michelle will need you over the next year especially to remember Lottie with her and cry with her. I know what you mean about not feeling like you are doing enough to help but listening to her and grieving with her at the holidays and Mother's Day and birthdays and sad days is in my experience what Michelle will need most.