This past Thursday, Barbara, Nicole and I (my travel companions to Israel) spoke in front of our local Federation's Allocations committee on the importance of sending money overseas to the JDC and JAFI.
The Allocations committee is charged with taking the money raised by our local campaign and dividing it among the locally supported agencies as well as the UJC which supports JDC and JAFI.
The overseas portion of our campaign has been woefully undervalued lately with some local concerns taking precedence. Our job, this year, was to bring our overseas needs into the forefront and remind the committee that we have a responsibility to support our global family too.
In preparation for Thursday's presentation, I was a wreck. This topic is so important to me and I wanted to get it right. I wanted to portray what I saw on my trip in a clear way so that the committee would have no trouble seeing what I saw even though some of them have never been overseas.
I poured over my notes, did some research online and wrote the story. And I think it turned out pretty damn great.
I believe it all went very well. All three of us spoke eloquently and passionately. The feedback has been very positive.
In about a month we'll know if we did the job we set out to do. That's when all the local agencies will have presented and the committee goes into deliberations and makes their decisions. I'll keep you all posted.
Otherwise, my honey had a good trip to Columbus and saw Aunt Mary which was fun! I wish I had been with them. We had a lovely Shabbat dinner with our friends the Tanzers. The kids are doing well and we're all looking forward to warmer and sunny weather. We had some yesterday and we took advantage by blowing a million bubbles!
Off to a baby shower! Hope you're having a good weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment