OK, so those demons never really came, and compared to most other nights, I slept fairly well last night. The Bird (or we can call her Birdie so it doesn't sound so formal) woke up at midnight a little upset but went back to sleep with a little coaxing and a little drink. The Peanut was up at 6AM wondering why I wasn't in her room sleeping by her and keeping her company. This is a new complication.
When the Peanut was little she was a champion sleeper. Like her daddy, most of the time, she just had to be horizontal and she'd roll over and go to sleep. And stay asleep! So having her wake up several times (as of late) in the middle of the night and need company to get back to sleep is unusual for her. I'll chalk it up to nerves and the back to school changes. I want/need it to change soon though. I can practically TASTE a full night's sleep in my future! Is that too optimistic? It's only been about 4 years...
The girls are getting to the point where they can practically play together. The Peanut loves showing things to Birdie. And of course, Birdie just adores her older sister and wants to do everything she does. Then, as in most families, the Peanut gets tired of Birdie and wants to do something she can't do. That's when the yelling starts. "No!" and "Stop it!" like the Bird understands that she's doing something to annoy her sister. This is a new dynamic here so I'll need to learn the smart parent's way of dealing with it and redirecting each child, or, you know, ignoring it and pretending things are fine and letting them (meaning the Peanut) work it out for themselves.
Fall is upon us here in Stumptown. Rainy and cold the last few days. Well, it's all relative. Cold for September. I wonder what this weather does to our grapes? We have fabulous wine here which we enjoy fairly regularly (and responsibly). I hope it's a good harvest and the wine continues to be as splendid (yes, I said splendid) as it usually is. If the rest of the country doesn't know about it yet, it's their loss. Means more for me here. :-)
Fall also means the new school year. I am a preschool parent. It's the Peanut's second year of preschool. It's amazing how school thrusts a person into the inner workings of the school. Of course, unless you get involved, it's always from an outsider's perspective. "What the HELL were they thinking when they made THAT decision?!?" and "Oh, yeah, like that's gonna work." were often heard muttered in the parking lot, along with bitching and moaning about how ridiculous it all seemed and how unorganized it all is. My suspicion is that ALL schools have people doing that in the parking lot. Though last year, here, it was really justified.
This year, I got involved so I wouldn't just complain, I'd actually have the opportunity to do something about it. Perhaps I'm being optimistic again. Hell, it's just the beginning of the year. There's still plenty of time to blog about the shenanigans to come.
Two very close, very dear friends have promised to come visit from the East Coast before November (separately). I am SO excited about this. The promise of girl time. These ladies knew me when I was young, thin, and carefree. Though it's a lifetime ago for me, the joy of seeing them is really unparalleled. Aside from when I'm with my husband, these women can see me at my most ME. Time with them gives my shoulders a rest from spending so much time close to my ears. It's like those titles "Waiting to Exhale" or "Going Home". Neither are books I've read or movies I've seen but they capture what I mean. It is a time to let down my guard, relax a little and not have to entertain. This is not to say that I won't want to make them happy and keep them busy while they're here, but it happens without much effort. I am so excited. Again with the optimism. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment