Monday, September 18, 2006

Identity Theft is a Bitch

Just so you know, we are a careful crew in this house when it comes to our documents. We save every receipt and file them. We shred all documents that come to this house with our name and address on them. ESPECIALLY those with any important information (ie. bills, social security statements, etc). We throw NOTHING in the trash if there's a name attached to an address (aside from those things addressed to "Our Neighbors at:" and then the address...). We are careful and always on the lookout. I still hold my purse tightly to my body and make sure the side with the wallet is under my armpit. I'll know it if you're trying to steal from me.

So it is with some shock that we are in receipt of three letters from the bank where we have our Home Equity Line confirming our recent change of address to some random apartment in Louisville, KY. Alarmed and, well, VERY alarmed, we called the bank immediately (which was closed). We called their after hours lost card line or whatever you call it and we reported the problem to them. After they confirmed that this all happened they basically told us that since there's been no money stolen yet, they're not planning to look into the matter. Basically, they don't give a shit unless their money (which I'd have to pay for) is gone.

Oh, but let us just talk about the CRAZY coincidences here...like the fact that Mr. Address Changer changed the address to someplace in Louisville, KY. Well just GUESS where our bank has a customer service center and where the checks get sent! Yes, Louisville, KY! And how many letters did we get sent regarding this change of address? Three. Why three when we have only one account with them? Well, whomever did the change of address, changed the address on two additional accounts that had our names on them. BOTH CLOSED and neither have EVER had any activity or even payment on them. Now just HOW would that person even know those accounts existed, let alone ask to change the address on them? Hmmm....maybe because THEY WORK FOR THE BANK???

Kindly, our Mortgage adviser, who got us in with this bank and speaks highly of them, escalated this through his contacts at the bank. The bank feels they've got all their safeguards in place and that those safeguards worked because they sent us those "confirmation of address change" letters and we called to complain about them. But no one has offered to look into the above mentioned coincidences.

I mean, come on, if someone stole our identity here in the City of Roses, do you think they'd have the address changed to some place in Louisville, KY? Doesn't that seem fishy to you?

We've since taken all the steps we can. Since the bank isn't doing anything, we've reported it to the Portland police (who likely won't do anything), put fraud alerts on our credit reports, called our bank, etc. But will it ever end? If this person is not caught, will we live our lives running through this effort repeatedly every time this jackass decides to try again with us?

Why can no one help us further?

I think if I don't get a satisfactory answer from the bank on my questions regarding the coincidences mentioned above, I'm calling their local news about it (in Louisville) and reporting the bank to the FTC (or whereever). Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm pissed off and tired and aggravated that this is taking up ANY of our time. But mostly, I'm shocked at the inaction of the bank but then, sad to say, I'm really not all that shocked.

No wonder identity theft runs rampant. No one gives a crap and no one does anything except those who get robbed. Everyone else points fingers at someone else and says "Call them.".

That's just perfect...

3 comments:

Carol Blymire said...

You should also alert the Louisville police as well as the Louisville FBI field office. Just send them letters outlining what happened. Calling will get you no where -- leaving a paper trail will. And definitely call the local news -- that ALWAYS gets a response.

Anonymous said...

I second Diner Girl's motion. It's a pain to have to document everything, but unless citizens rise up and demand changes, the huge conglomerates that run our country won't pay any attention. After all, the piddling amounts we have in our bank accounts are nothing to the billions they play with every day. I like the press idea best. It's the only check and balance left to the little guys in society. CTGrandma

Anonymous said...

do you guys have "help me howard" out there? :-)
Seriously that is scary. And I will begin shredding documents asap.