Sunday, September 17, 2006

Oh...my...goodness

I saw the show "Wicked" last night. They're here in Portland as part of their National tour and may I just say WOW!

I am always very skeptical of shows that travel that much. All stages are different, all houses are different. There are lots of things that a production needs to shape in order to fit in the space in which they need to perform. And separate from that, there's the audience. An audience in New York is different than one from Oklahoma, or one from Toledo, or one from Minneapolis...you get the idea.

But last night, the two main leads of the show, Shoshana Bean and Megan Hilty, were both "home". Shoshana is actually from Portland and Megan is from Bellevue, WA and so the audience was filled with people that knew them and loved them well before they were on Broadway in this show or on tour. Things went very smoothly for them despite some sound and microphone issues. We were all wrapped up in the show as was their intent and many a tear was shed at the end.

Never in my life have I heard a roar from an audience like I did last night for these two spectacular performers. It must be a thrilling experience to perform a show like that AT HOME. I was thrilled for them and felt as proud for them as I could without being a family member.

If you missed it, it's a shame. I almost did and can't thank my sister-in-law enough for giving me her ticket last week.

No comments: