Thursday, November 09, 2006

Ins-Mom-Nia

Everyone has those nights, weeks, years when sleep was slow to come or never came at all. But I think, when you're a mom, that sleep begins to elude you for longer and longer periods of time. Now, I completely understand that drugs (and no, I do not mean the recreational kind) play a big role in both keeping people awake (like the poor steroid-inflicted Diner Girl) and helping people to sleep (ie. Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM). But sometimes, in a generally normal existence, sleep is difficult and ESPECIALLY when you have small children.

I, for one, became an exceptionally light sleeper once the Peanut was born. I swear that I knew I could hear her breathing if I just paid attention. And so I would lie there in the dark, monitor on, listening with every fiber of my being. And I had it on loud enough that I knew whether she was breathing, what direction she was lying in, whether or not she was covered, on her back, playing with something. Every nuance of that "quiet" was interpreted in my brain. It wasn't until she got LOUD as a toddler that I turned off the monitor and basically knew that I could hear her at the drop of a hat if she needed me.


As the Peanut got older, she started to talk in her sleep a little and I awoke each time especially while our rooms were so close. Once in the new house I used a monitor for a while but she started to sleep better and then eventually came to GET me when she needed me.

But at this point, I was a goner. Once I'm up in the middle of the night for any reason, I'm UP and for a while. I used to come get online, read in the bathroom, go downstairs and watch TV, or try to go sleep in another room. I try everything because nothing is worse than WANTING to sleep and not being able to.

More than anything, it's my brain keeping me awake. When I worked I would lie in bed and think of work - something I didn't finish, a deadline I forgot about, a team member I was annoyed with. But with the kids, I think of everything all the time. I'm out of diapers or I need new sippy cups or I have to buy a birthday present for someone or I need to mention something to the teacher or blah blah blah. Worse than all of this are the songs I sing, in my head, over and over. Not whole songs but pieces of songs. Like the one sentence from one theme song that I know without knowing the rest of the words. Nothing is more annoying.

So I ask you...what do YOU do with your insomnia? What are your tricks of the trade? How do you ever get back to sleep?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's 3 or 4, I get up, make a pot of coffee, do a crossword puzzle, read one of the decorating magazines I never have time for and try to enjoy the solitude. Often by 6 I get tired again, and if I'm really lucky and don't have go into the city, I'll go back to bed, and sleep for two glorious hours (not an option for you, I know). If it's 2 or 1, or god forbid 12, I turn on the television, and hope it will lull me to sleep like it did when I sat on the couch at 9. Responsibility always fills the brain. Sometimes the thoughts come flying through so quickly I can't even keep up with them. And as your brother once said, Grandma had very strong worry genes that, unfortunately for us, she passed along. If I'm still awake when the worries set in, I purposely set my mind to another task, and start plotting, preferably a story with humor and romance, and appealing characters. I've come up with some wonderful scenes on the way to sleep, but alas, I don't remember them in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who couldn't sleep because one line of a song was stuck in my head. No, not an entire song, not even a complete verse or chorus, just the one line. Over and over. And over. So just give in to it and groove along. Blair would want you to.

Anonymous said...

Hell, I'm so damn tired at this point that I sometimes don't even HEAR the kids during the night...and two of mine (and sometimes three) are RIGHT NEXT TO ME!! Insomnia? Yeah - right! I am not kidding you - I can sleep in a rocking chair with a 21 pound baby on my lap, not drop her AND keep rocking!

Anonymous said...

I had to stop watching the Wiggles because those songs TORMENTED me beyond belief in the middle of the night!! I hear you about hearing everything, I have to muffle the baby's monitor under the bed covered with a towel so i'll ONLY hear if she's actually upset, otherwise i'm grooving along to the breathing all night long. Maybe when they're in college and not in the house will we sleep at last. Wait, not then either because we'll be obsessing about what they're doing at college. Oh well, sleep will be a fond past memory for us all.

-S

Anonymous said...

just be glad it's a song and not one, disconnected line from a play that you didn't even say.

solutions (term loosely used)

tylenol PM
cognac
pretending i have to get up.
getting up
deep breathing & stretching
but mostly tylenol PM

Carol Blymire said...

What do I do when I have insomnia? I bitch about it. And I drink because the one thing I'm not fucking allergic to is wine, thank Christ. Or, um, CitrusChrist.

pdxblogmommy said...

Oh God I love ya Diner Girl.

I just guffawed and then snorted.