Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ah...the 80's

My dear friend, The Diner Girl, sent me a link to 1500 videos from the 80's. Just going through the list was making me happy. The site is currently having technical difficulties which is just as well, as I'm in the playroom with Birdie and The Peanut and if that site were to be working right now, I'd be torturing them both with reliving my high school days, musically. These videos were the WORST by today's standards and yet, I am SO anxious to see them, to remember them, to hear songs I haven't heard in ages, let alone see the videos for them. Besides...these were the days when MTV played actual music videos. Music Television (MTV), get it? They've recently lost focus, wouldn't you say?

I am reminded of the concerts I saw, the friends I had, the clothes I wore, the HAIR I had...all of it. What fun the 80's were! So we were afraid of nuclear holocaust. Are things really that different now? And, of course, I met The Diner Girl in the mid-80's. Many of those songs and crazy memories are reminiscent of our early college days together. We saw Paul Young together on the stage at the Smith Center at GWU. We were in the front basically looking up his nostrils. He was hot. Damn, he was hot. The opening band, who are NOWHERE now I'm sure, were pretty smokin' too.

These memories make me feel young and old at the same time. Young, because I don't feel so far from it. Old, because my life is so DRASTICALLY different now than it was then. Not bad, obviously, but just very different. When you're a mom, or a business person, or just involved in your work, whatever that may be, it's hard to remember the piece of you that was so much younger and carefree. We don't often get to feel that way anymore. Though, I suspect that we didn't feel so carefree in those days either.

So, if you're like me, and you want a little risk-free walk down memory lane, check out some of those videos and "disappear" for a while.

Of course, the web site would have to be working first...

2 comments:

Carol Blymire said...

Oh, Paul Young. Sigh.

Gimme an S
Gimme an E
Gimme an X

I still have those photos of us with him at Tower Records... and that DJ from Q107. Bwaahahahaha.

Carol Blymire said...

Oh yeah... the opening band. They were called TenTen, and I sooooo wanted to have some backstage time with their lead singer. I've Googled and iTuned them, and yeah, they pretty much don't exist. They were freakin' hot.