OK...this is not one of my better weeks.
I've been sick as a dog and in bed every free moment I have had since Monday. Those have mostly been mornings since my honey is traveling on business and I have been lucky enough to bring the Peanut and the Bird to school in the mornings and come home and rest until it's time to go get them.
Today, in an attempt to feel somewhat normal again, I worked this morning, but left feeling horrible and still do. I feel horrible.
But to add to this horribleness, I did something today SO SO horrible that I shudder each time I think of it.
After picking up the Peanut from school, I took her to change for her swim lesson in the Women's Locker Room. Herding a 4 year old is a lot like herding cats. I wasn't exactly on the ball and I was trying to get her in there and changed so when I finally got close to the door, I saw a pretty buff looking, bald headed person with glasses, dressed in a blue t-shirt and black gym shorts heading into the Women's Locker Room. This person opened the door and out of my mouth comes "Oh, this is the WOMEN'S locker room" at which point this person turned around and I realized what I had done. It WAS a woman. A woman CANCER patient no less. I was horrified and said "Oh, I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking" to which she VERY kindly replied "That's ok. Happens all the time."
If I could do it, my head would be buried DEEP DEEP in the sand. I feel so bad. Truth is, I wasn't really looking and dressed as she was, she looked, to me, like a bald man. She was fit, shiney bald, dressed in blue...still, it's no excuse.
So to you out there whom I SOOOOOO mistakenly took for a man today, I am SO sorry. And I am mortified. More so, humbled and proud of you and all you're doing for yourself. Clearly you work out and it shows. You look to be in fairly decent shape...which is more than I can say for myself.
I APOLOGIZE and promise to keep my damn mouth shut next time should we ever cross paths again. I'll just smile and say "Thank You" as you hold the door for me.
Do they make a Robitussin for Big Mouths and Brain Farts?
3 comments:
While I can't speak for this particular woman, I can say that as a 6 foot tall woman who usually had extremely short hair and doesn't always dress all girly-girl, I have, in fact, had this happen to me on multiple occasions. I know you feel horrible and she may have thought you were an idiot for a moment, but don't dwell on it too much sweetie. We can tell by someone's reaction to their mistake whether they truly are an idiot (and there are plenty of those!) or they were distracted or contracted a short-lived case of foot-in-mouth disease. And I know which one is you ;)
well... it probably DOES happen all the time. And as someone who used to be mistaken for a man regularly (no kidding), it really isn't that bad. she probably wanted to figure out some way to make you feel less embarrassed and couldn't.
There isn't a soul in the world who hasn't had that awful time when they wish they could take back what they said. What counts for more is your reaction to making that kind of mistake. I agree. She probably felt worse for you than she did for herself. Chalk it up to a brain fog occasioned by your raging rhinovirus (that's the common cold and has nothing to do with zoos). Now get well!
Post a Comment