Thursday, October 19, 2006

Come On Everybody Do Your Exercise...

I remember way back when I was a child that there was this great (well, frankly, it likely sucked but I was a child so what did I know?) show on TV called Wonderama. I have no idea if it was a local show or not. But they had this song on it called "Exercise" and they sang it while kids were doing jumping jacks on the stage. See? Even back then they wanted kids to get up and get exercise. But alas, it was, in fact, a TV show and most of us just sat there and watched the other kids exercise.

Skip ahead 30 years or so and I am struggling to work out more than the one time a week I do it.

It feels good, gives me energy, brightens my mood. Of course, I curse the world while I do it, but it's good for me and makes me feel good. So why can't I just get it done more than one time a week?

It's because one time a week I have someone standing over me, counting reps, telling me to tighten my gluts, work my shoulders, slow down, stretch and drink water. Of course she tells me other things too, but the point is - she's here, she's making sure it gets done.

I am the type of person who will only do what's good for me when other people force me to do it. If I had a lot of money, I'd make sure she was with me at least 5 times a week. To top off this greatness, I work out in my playroom/office so the Birdie can play while I work out. She is often excellent entertainment to boot.

So can someone please give me a million or so dollars so I can pay my trainer to come as much as I need her to until the part of my brain kicks in that says "I can do this on my own, at least PART of the week".

Yeah, a million dollars would be nice. Or you know, two. Two million would be nicer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we must be endomorphic personalities, you know, the kind that value lying on a couch more than standing or moving on the floor. You told me I should exercise first thing in the morning and while I like that idea, I have to have my coffee first thing in the morning, and then I have to read the paper first thing in the morning, and watch the birds at my feeder first thing in the morning. And by the time I've finished all the first things in the morning, it's time to shower and get to work.
So I went tonight instead. It wasn't the best time. The gym held the accumulated aromas of a day's worth of women exercising. I could have done without that. But I went through the routine with Cher's disco songs spurring me on. And now I feel kind of--what's the word?--not noble exactly, but at least pleased with myself that I didn't let another day go by simply glued to my computer chair. Hopefully, I'll do it again tomorrow. I'll exercise again, and work on getting myself healthy-- but not before my coffee.