This spree of school shootings obviously has me concerned. The most recent, in Amish country in Pennsylvania, is especially difficult to bear since the Amish are such a peaceful people (not that others aren't peaceful).
As parents, we have a responsibility to our children to do what is right for them and for our families. We educate them the best we can whether it's in a private school, a public school, home school etc. How can we ever guarantee their safety in what we have always know to be a safe environment?
School safety is a major issue everywhere in the United States, but how much response is enough? Where do we draw the lines? Metal detectors? Armed guards? We have heard of schools with this kind of coverage but must it be everywhere? Is ANYWHERE safe anymore?
We are always asked to just go on living our lives. We cannot live in fear of the terrorists at all turns or else that "lets them win", we cannot live in fear of the crazed individuals who see things happen in other towns and then turn around and do it in their own town as a "copycat" crime. So when is it ok to worry? Is it possible that someone could put our fears to rest? Will this create a major uptick in home schooling? Will public schools become a battleground?
When my children are ready for school, public or private, in the coming years, will I feel safe leaving them there? Will I want to sit with them in school all day? Even if I did, could I protect them then?
I want to know, do parenting fears ever subside? Do all parents feel this way or is it just me? Am I overreacting? Overemotional?
Where do I need to move to have a serene life, uninterrupted by fear and crazy people? If it's not the crazies, it's "natural disaster".
What a freakin' choice.
My heart and my prayers go out to the people in small and large communities who have suffered this week with the killing of their children in school.
May I never EVER experience anything even remotely close to that kind of sadness...
3 comments:
Yeah. the shootings in Lancaster were about 30 minutes from my old sotmping grounds. Mom said it's been pretty grim up that way, and that everyone is miserable -- talk about a part of the country where no one thought this could ever happen. All you can do is just hug your kids, kiss your hubby, and make sure people know how you feel about them. You never know when any of us might see our last day, you know? People get hit by buses, or have strokes, or are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Being an adult is not all it's cracked up to be.
Oh my sweet girl, no, parenting fears never subside. You never ever stop worrying about your children even when they're grown, even when they live all the way across the country. I agree. I hope you never EVER experience anything even remotely close to that kind of sadness.
Knock on wood. Spit three times. Salt over the shoulder. I don't take any chances. ;-)
No, those parenting fears NEVER subside. They are part of what we sign on for as parents. Would I have made a different decision if I knew how much I would fear for my children? NEVER! The joys will always far outnumber the tears!
Love to you all!
Post a Comment