Monday, October 02, 2006

What a day!

HE DID IT!

He ran the whole marathon with the exception of a mile or two (that he walked)! He's awesome! We are SO proud! I will upload or link to the photo once it's posted.

We raced out to meet him between mile 21 and mile 22 which is where the Portland Fit Cheering Station was. Folks who were cheering on their friends or family who participated in that program were all directed to this area of the course (in a beautiful neighborhood). They trained up to 21 miles so most of the runners and walkers in that program really wanted/needed the encouragement to go the extra 5 miles or so.

It was a great experience to stand there and cheer on the runners coming through. Some looked great, some pained, some determined, some desperate. There were some in hiking boots, one barefoot who apparently went through the course twice, a man in a tutu, a man in a tuxedo...it was quite a show.

Once my honey came through, we cheered, put our posters up high so he could see us, and we yelled and whistled and clapped and then, in a flash, he was gone. At that point we got in the car and raced downtown to see him at the end of the race. While we didn't make it to the finish line, we did find him after he came out the chute of food, blankets, and water. He was limping a bit and sore but he looked GREAT!!!

It was such an exciting experience! I hope he loved it and I hope it's the first of many. WHAT A RUSH!

3 comments:

Carol Blymire said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! He finished it!!!!!!!! Wooooo-hoooooo!!!!!!! Now if only you guys were here, we could go to the Bon for a celebration burger!

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO AWESOME. I can barely climb the stairs out of the subway. (Oh, I wish I were kidding). Very inspiring. Go MM.

Anonymous said...

Holy @#!* - way to go RB!! Can Boston or NY be far behind?
xo