I have discovered crossword puzzles.
Now mind you, I am no great scholar. I don't know clever words with difficult meanings, I am not a history buff and I know very little about authors and literature (other than the occasional People Magazine and New York Magazine).
But in all the time I have been reading New York Magazine, I never once looked to do the puzzle in back. Until last night.
With a few exceptions, I did the whole thing. I DID have to Google a few references but I completed the puzzle and started another. I'm a new addict. What fun!
I have no designs on doing the Times crossword or anything more difficult as I have trouble enough with this one. But it's fun and it gets my brain working.
Please pass no judgement. I would do the one in People Magazine too but it comes to me after 3 other readers and someone else does them all.
What are you all working on to keep your aging brains working?
4 comments:
OhmyGod, finally someone I can share my addiction with. I've been doing New York Magazine crossword puzzles for YEARS. Every Wednesday, I get giddy when the mailman comes because I know my New York magazine will be in the mailbox. I am such a nerd. Whatever you do, don't do the one in People magazine. The clues are like this: The Young and ___ Restless. Seriously, it's for tards.
try the Sunday Times!!
Sorry, didn't see your decision not to do New York Times but the nice thing about the New York Times crossword is that it can take all week to do. You do a little each day so you always have something to look forward too. Sometimes it's very difficult and sometimes not so much but as you do it more it does get a little easier because there are tricks you learn and standard answers that appear in most of the puzzles. Also, the questions are interesting ones and you can increase your vocabuary substantially. Talk about exercising your aging brain.......The New York Times crossword is perfect. Set aside a little time each day and you will look forward to the challenge.
So, a little of my genes have seeped into you. Well, I do do the Times puzzle except Mondays and Tuesdays when DB wants them. The puzzles start out the week easy and get progressively more difficult until Saturday. (The Sunday magazine's is usually as hard as Wednesday or Thursday.) Saturday's is impossible, although every now and then I finish it.
Forget about Sudoku. I see numbers and freeze up.
Post a Comment